• Write grammatically correct and structurally coherent English.
• Summarize lengthy texts in their own words.
• Know the format of memo writing and develop memorandum on their own.
• Translate texts into idiomatically correct language without sacrificing the originality of the source text.
• Develop paragraphs and essays beyond what they might have memorized in the past.
• Understand complex texts without being hindered by seemingly incomprehensible words and expressions.
• Understand the various parts of a report and write short reports on their own.
• Learn how to avoid common errors usually made by the learners of English as second language.
• Improve listening and speaking skills.
COURSE LEARNING OUTCOMES (CLO)
CLO: 1. to review correct use of English language in writing and speaking in response to real circumstances.
CLO: 2. to write and justify correct English language by avoiding common errors in professional correspondence.
CLO: 3. to implement effective presentation and communication skills.
- Précis Writing
- General rules of summary writing
- Use of language in summary writing
- Things never to be missed in summary writing
- Practice in summary writing
- Paragraph and Essay Writing
- Parts of an essay
- Ways to develop a proper beginning, middle, and ending of an essay
- kinds of an essay
- CV and Job Application
- Kinds of CVs
- Ways to develop an effective CV
- Covering letter
- Reading and Comprehension
- Ways to cope with and understand complex texts
- Practice in understanding complex texts
- Skimming and scanning, speed reading, intensive and extensive reading
- Listening and Speaking Skills
- Audio-visual material will be used to test and then improve the listening skills of students
- Students to hold discussions in english language on a variety of topics
- Interview Skills
- Memo Writing and Minutes of the Meeting
- Difference between letter and memo
- Format of memo
- How to write the minutes of the meeting
- Translation of texts, Punctuation marks, vocabulary development
- The importance of the correct use of punctuation marks
- Practice on the use of punctuation marks
- Development of vocabulary through extensive reading
- Things to remember in translation
- Rules of transliteration
- Presentations Skills
- Final presentations